Student Services

Back to SBCC

Student Grievances/Complaints

Students who feel their rights as a student have been violated by an instructor or staff member should first attempt in good faith to resolve the matter with the source of the complaint. If the student is dissatisfied with the outcome of this meeting, they may take their complaint to a Department Chair or Administrator for further review by a third party. If a resolution is not reached at this level, the student may file a formal grievance with the appropriate Dean/Supervising Administrator. For support and advice on the complaint/grievance process, a student may consult with the Dean of Student Support Services Office on the Main Campus (Student Services Building room 260) or by phone at: (805) 730-4002. For the complete procedure, see AP 5530 – Student Rights and Grievances. The policy is the same for complaints about academic matters including grades and curriculum. The student should begin by first talking to the instructor to attempt resolution. If this is unsuccessful, the student may then proceed with the steps as listed above. The appropriate path is faculty member, Department Chair, area Dean and finally, Executive Vice President.

Complaints involving sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual misconduct, and gender discrimination regarding access to programs, should contact the Deputy Title IX Officer, Christopher Johnson at 805-730-4078. Reports of complaints that proceed to investigation will be investigated. The investigation process will include, at a minimum, interviewing the complainant, other relevant witnesses, and gathering pertinent documentation. To file a complaint with the Title IX Deputy Officer, click here.

Student appeals relating to Financial Aid decisions, rules and regulations should contact the Student Financial Services office in order to initiate the Financial Aid appeal process which follows established guidelines. The phone number is (805) 730-5157.

Complaint Process Notice (per Section 600.9 State Authorization (a)(1), Section 668.43(b))

Most complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus level. This is the quickest and most successful way of resolving issues involving a California Community College (CCC). You are obligated to work through the campus complaint process first before escalating issues to any of the following resources. Issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented:

Questions or comments about this page may be directed to

Back to top Back to top

721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394    Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581    © 2018 Santa Barbara City College